Abortion Pill / Medication Abortion
Up to 11.0 weeks from first day of last menstrual period (LMP)
What is the Abortion Pill?
The Abortion Pill is a combination of two medications. The first medication is taken in our center and the second set of medications are taken in the privacy of your own home. Some women report the medication abortion as being “private” and “more like a miscarriage”.
- The first pill taken in our office blocks progesterone, a hormone needed to continue the pregnancy.
- 24-48 hours after taking the first pill in our office, you will take the second set of pills at home.
- They gently soften and open the cervix so that the discontinued pregnancy can pass through.
- Most women will completely expel the uterine contents within 6 hours after taking the set of pills at home. For some, it may take a little longer.
- You will experience vaginal bleeding similar to a heavy menstrual period and intense cramps for a few hours after taking this medication.
- Most women could continue to bleed lightly up to their next period.
The medication abortion (Abortion Pill) is 95-98% effective in completely ending a pregnancy. Effectiveness can depend on the treatment regimen and length of pregnancy. Rare cases of an incomplete medical abortion can be treated safely with additional medication or a surgical abortion.
One to two weeks later, our counselor will call to ensure that everything went well with your medications. You will be offered the option to come into our office to be evaluated to determine the completeness of the abortion with a repeat ultrasound or visit your personal physician for follow-up care. This appointment is already included in the total you pay for the medication abortion on your first visit.
Contraception will be discussed and prescribed.
Learn more about what you can expect on the day of your procedure.
Be aware of Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) and steer clear of them.
Chicago Women’s specializes in the Abortion Pill also known as a medication abortion up to 11 weeks.
Our staff follows the strictest confidentiality guidelines to insure your privacy. We maintain a friendly atmosphere with patient-care monitored at the highest professional level. Our licensed physicians specialize in abortion care and are assisted by compassionate licensed nurses, laboratory technicians, and trained counselors. We comply with Illinois state regulations and local medical standards.
We are a #REALCLINIC. Learn about fake clinics.
Felt so comfortable
I was so nervous and extremely anxious. Every step of the way the staff made me feel so comfortable, and that I was surrounded by friends.” – Vanessa M.
They really care
They really care about your mental/emotional state in this clinic and the counselor’s and nurses walk you through the process every step of the way.” — Sam B.
Judgment free atmosphere
Thank you to all the staff members and Doctor for helping me. It’s not the best of circumstances but I truly appreciate their calmness and judgment free atmosphere.” – Dani B.
Staff make you feel safe and secure and they are supportive. All the things you need for a difficult situation..” – Anita R.
I can’t thank this staff enough for being absolutely amazing during my procedure.” – Regina C.